Saturday, June 15, 2013

Title Bout
 Gloria
Language Arts
Titles are important parts in a book. For example, I might have read The 39 Clues series sooner if the title of the first book wasn't Maze of Bones. I don't like reading horror stories, so I avoided the series. Finally, I decided, that since it was written by Rick Riordan, whose books weren't too terrifying, it might be worth a shot. Another example is the Maximum Ride series. One of the books in the series is named Saving the World and Other Extreme Sports. That title was very attention-catching, and made me want to read the book. This week, I got the assignment to evaluate the title of the book Snow Treasure by Marie Mcswiggan.
Snow Treasure is a book about World War II, set in a town the Germans occupied that held all of Norway's gold. The Germans weren't completely sure where the gold was in Norway, so the children of the town were able to smuggle the gold out of the city by sitting on it while they sledded out of the town, and then buried the gold in the snow.
Snow Treasure seems like an appropriate name. It's a book about a treasure that was hidden in the snow. Another name that might fit is They'll Never Suspect Children or Sledding With Gold. But I think that the name Snow Treasure is very fitting. It grabs my attention because I think "What treasure?" "Is the treasure snow?" "What goes on in this book?". I don't think that I'd want to read the book as much if it was called Smuggling Gold Out of Norway On Sleds. That gives it all away and makes it sound boring.
Through this paper, I've talked about why titles are important, and how the title Snow Treasure is a fitting name for the book. Titles always have been, and always will be, an important part of any book.

No comments:

Post a Comment