Monday, March 18, 2013

A Good Hook

by Christina

My name is Pip, but does that really matter? Life is miserable as it is, without a name like Pip. It's late, and I'll probably miss dinner if I stay here. But I don't want to go back. She'd just find something to blame me for, beat me when I said I didn't do it, and scold me with, "Don't act so ungrateful to those who raised you up by hand." By hand. Bah! My sister raised me with a hand that held a rod to beat down on my back when she could. But after she married Joe, the blacksmith, things have been a little better. Now I have someone who understands me, as we both receive the same treatment from my sister. It's cold, but I bet my mother, father, and brothers are all colder than I am, in the earth that surrounds their bones.

(Assignment: Rewrite the beginning of Great Expectations by Charles Dickens to give it a better "hook".)

No comments:

Post a Comment